October 02, 2011

Marathon recovery

After the marathon in Bellingham, we drove southwest to the coast of the Olympic Peninsula where we had rented a cottage in Pacific Beach for the week. At this time of the year, this area is quiet and stunning. It was the perfect place for us to unwind after a few hectic months.

The beach here is wide with hard-packed sand. Luka absolutely loved it, and his happiness chasing a ball or a stick during our morning and evening walks was contagious.

Tim, already tapering for the Victoria Marathon, did three runs here. I did none, even as I was tempted and felt great. After 14 marathons and four ultras, I have found that my body prefers a week of walking following such long efforts.

We're driving back to Squamish today after a fantastic and relaxing 10 days in Washington state, most of which were spent in Pacific Beach. It's been an awesome trip.

While we planned for a holiday, I had arranged for a proof copy of my novel, From my Mother, to be sent to the local post office here as delivery within the U.S. is much faster than shipment to Canada.

The book arrived on Wednesday, and of course I couldn't help myself but do a final proofread of the hard copy while on holiday. I finished making the final changes last night, and submitted the files for both the paperback and the Kindle version.

No comments: