February 26, 2009

Reasons to Run

It's a good thing that I have so many reasons to run. That's what I thought to myself on Sunday after 30 kilometers of running on my own in the drizzling rain - I still had about two kilometers left to run.

I don't actually run for distance - I run for time. My coach tells me what period of time I should run for which on Sunday was two hours and 40 minutes. But I check the distance of my long runs afterwards with the help of Gmaps Pedometer.

Partly because I want to know the distance I covered obviously but I also wanted to know what pace I'd been running at. Even so, the main goal of my long runs is to run for the period of time as advised by my coach - it's all about time on your feet.

In preparation for this marathon 2hr40min has been my longest run. And in the final 20 minutes I was tired, sore and ready to stop. I couldn't help but think that my main reason to run that last little stretch was to be finished and leave the cold wet outdoors for a warm house and a hot shower.

When I got home I just changed into dry clothes - I didn't have the energy for a shower immediately - and lay down on the floor with my feet up in the air against a wall. It's a great way to get rid of the main soreness after a long run.

No comments: