February 09, 2009

Productive Long Run

My long run today is `only' two hours - still a long way to run. But all is relative, and it is 40 minutes shorter than the two prior weeks. I have a coffee and an energy bar before I head out the door.

Thankfully it is dry, despite a forecast for rain/snow. At the start my legs feel like they have in the previous two days - pretty heavy. I enjoy the thought of a shorter run today, before my 3-hour sessions begin in two weeks.

While I am always excited about the big training sessions, I can't help but feel a bit intimidated by them too. But nothing to worry about for today. I am running on a pair of Adidas Supernova Glide shoes which I'm testing and reviewing for a magazine, along with a pair of Nike Zoom Vomero 3.

I'm carrying a 500-ml bottle of water and two gels (Clifshots), both with caffeine. After about 20 minutes my legs start feeling a bit more supple and my thoughts turn to some work projects. Running usually brings creative ideas, and today is a top day.

I return home having worked out four great ideas during the 2-hour run. Overall, I felt good both mentally and physically - a sign that my nutrition and hydration was sufficient and the caffeine didn't hurt either.

No comments: