May 10, 2012

It's not about the shoes - or is it?

The first time I came across the New Balance REVlite 890s was when I reviewed a pair for the March/April 2011 issue of IMPACT Magazine.

After a few runs in them, I wrote, "I'm in love with these shoes... These shoes are light, yet cushioned, with a great ride. I haven't owned a pair of New Balance for nearly a decade but these will get a ton of wear for sure. There's nothing I do not like about these shoes. These could be my Vancouver Marathon shoes."

I did indeed run the 2011 Vancouver Marathon in them, finishing 5th woman overall and earning the women's top master title. They stayed on my feet in the other races I did in 2011; earning 2nd place in the F40-44 age group at the Scotiabank Half (89:44); 3rd in AG at the Squamish 10km (40:14).

REVlites in Bellingham
They were with me when I won the Bellingham Bay Marathon in 3:09:41 on a blustery day in September, and again at the Victoria Marathon two weeks later as I ran a PB of 3:06:06, fast enough for the top master title there.

Four weeks after Victoria, I ran the Whistler 50 (mile) in them, where 7:57 was speedy enough to finish first in the F40-49 division.

REVlites in Honeywagon
My first race of 2012 was the First Half half marathon in February. The New Balance REVlite 890s carried me along for a 87:27 PB, 2nd in my age group.

Next up was the Run for the Honeywagon half, another blustery day but great boutique race in Washington state; my 89:20 was the fastest time among women and an improvement of the F40-44 age group course record.

REVlites in Sun Run
Last month, these shoes helped me run a PB of 86:54 at the Sunshine Coast half marathon (2nd AG) and then a 39:39 10K PB at the Vancouver Sun Run (10th among women masters).

Sunday, a fresh pair was on my feet in the BMO Vancouver Marathon as I (finally) smashed my best time at the 42.195K distance by 5:37 to finish in 3:00:29, again finishing 5th woman and top master.

REVlites after Sunday's 3:00:29
It's not all about the shoes but I do love the New Balance REVlite 890s.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Wonder if I can get them in Oz.