January 17, 2011

Finish line on book cover?

As I am getting close to finishing my fifth book, I've spent a lot of time on designing the cover. After trying every potential semi-custom option that CreateSpace provides I realized that it wasn't going to work for mine.

In the end Photoshop was where I created the result you see here.

The hardest part was finding the right typeface for the title, and deciding on the colour and the style. After researching the best typefaces for book covers, finding a great resource in this article
I finally came up with the cover as you see here.

I used Photoshop to turn a photograph into this front cover that fits CreateSpace's Palm design, which allows you to upload a custom back and front cover, without having to design (and place) the book's spine.

My partner Tim, who also took the original photograph, suggested a white spine with a black font, as he finds that most legible. Checking out the book case, it's hard to disagree.

Tim's been one of my two superb editors on this book. The other is Margaret, a longtime writer and literature teacher. Her advice on the two drafts of my book has been valuable and I am grateful for her help.

Now I am waiting for feedback from two test readers, both experienced runners and avid readers, before tackling the final revision and proofread of this book. My deadline to complete the book is still the end of this month and I think I'm in good shape to make it.

No comments: