October 20, 2010

Preparing for author talk

Tonight I am presenting my third book A Work in Progress: Exercises in Writing to the Squamish Writers Group because one of its members, poet Jude Goodwin, invited me after reading about my book in the Chief newspaper. (Read the article here)

Incidentally Jude and I met on Saturday at the gala of the Whistler Readers & Writers festival, an absolutely superb event with 10 authors, including some very award-winning ones, reading from their latest work.

The night hosted the 2009 Governor General Award winning author for fiction, Kate Pullinger (The Mistress of Nothing), two-time Governor General nominee, Patricia Young (An Autoerotic History of Swings), the 2009 winner of the Writers Trust of Canada Non-Fiction prize and the BC Booksellers’ Choice Award, Brian Brett (Trauma Farm), award winning author, Russell Wangersky (The Glass Harmonica), City of Victoria Butler Book Prize winning author, Terence Young, (The End of the Ice Age), short-story author Jenn Farrell (The Devil You Know), writing couple and former Whistler writers in residence, Merilyn Simonds and Wayne Grady (Breakfast at the Exit CafĂ©: travels through America),  Kathy Page (The Find), and two-time Ethel Wilson Fiction Prize winning author Caroline Adderson. Local writer Stephen Vogler was a great and entertaining MC. (Details courtesy of the festival's website.)

While I enjoyed each reading, the short story by Terence Young was my favourite.

As for tonight, I am very much looking forward to this author talk/reading, my first.

2 comments:

Adrian said...

Off topic: I just saw that a CFA photographer is looking for a tall female runner for a photo shoot in Whistler and the description sounds like it was written with you in mind: http://ht.ly/2X578

Good luck in the H2H!

Margreet Dietz said...

Thanks Tyro! I'd have sent you a private email but don't seem to be able to through blogger.